Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What's For Dinner?

After my online conversation with a friend who's on exchange in Norway a couple of days ago, it occurred to me how difficult it was for people who live alone to cook a decent meal for themselves. I was in the same situation myself when I came to Perth and I admit, a huge part of it goes to the fact that my Mum wasn't there to do the cooking. ^_^

So I did the next best thing... I ate out. But you can only eat so much msg-infused takeaway till hair starts falling out of places you never knew existed.

So for all you guys out there struggling in the kitchen, get your hands out of the KFC bucket and don your aprons! I hope this simple recipe will help kick start those creative juices lurking in that cooking brain of yours =) Enjoy!



Potato Mash with Chorizos

Ingredients: 2 servings
2 potatoes (~40cents each)
1 onion (~20cents)
1 handful of snow pea sprouts (~20cents)
2 chorizos (~$2 each)

Boil the potatoes till soft. Remove the skin and mash till smooth. You could peel the skin off first then boil, but I reckon it just tastes better boiled with the skin on.

Add a tablespoon of butter to the mash. This gives it an absolutely wonderful flavour and aroma. Feel free to add another spoonful if you like, but go run a mile later to burn it off ^_^

Add cracked pepper and thyme for taste.

Slice the onions and chorizos up into chunky pieces. Chorizo is an Spanish chilli sausage that you can find at most supermarket deli sections.

Heat a pan up with medium heat and add little or even no oil. That's because the chorizos will produce quite a bit of oil after being heated.

Fry the sausages first till brown then throw the onions in. Stir fry together until the onions are almost caramelised. Don't burn the onions because you'll still want some crunchiness to this dish.

Lastly, add the snow pea sprouts in the potato mash and give it a good mix.

Plate and enjoy!



A simple meal for under $3 a serving. Hope you'll like it ^_^

No comments: